Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rescue

A new relationship is like an onion. No, seriously. There are layers to be peeled to get to the heart and no matter how hard you try, tears might be involved. Unlike the stinging tears of an onion, though, these are sweet tears. S amazes me. He's tender and funny. He tells me how he feels and my insides flutter.

We're alike in so many ways. He's a little anxious, gets a little stressed, and has some sore spots in his past. We're both trying to figure out what life should look like even as we learn to appreciate ourselves through the eyes of the other. My happiness means something to him - he seeks it, plans for it, and basks in it. In the midst of one of our lengthy phone conversations, I asked him what makes him happy. His answer, simply stated, was me. Me. With my insecurities and strong opinions. Me. That's all he needs to be happy.

I'm not a superhero, but I feel like I might be able to save him. I just hope he knows he's rescued me right back.

No comments: