Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Him + Me = We

According to an online dream dictionary, to see a hotel in your dream signifies a new state of mind or a shift in personal identity. That's an apt description for where I find myself these days. S and I have made the shift to coupledom. We are, in fact, we now, and I marvel at what love looks like. We're infatuated with each other, sure, but it's so much more than that. S knows I'm not perfect; I feel no need to hide my imperfections from him. He sees me in the light and loves me as I am. He sees me as my friends do, and I can't wait for their worlds to collide.

He's meeting the parents this weekend. It's a time-honored and much feared tradition. It's a stressful week for my family - I'm looking at houses, my brother won't be here for Mother's Day, and we have a funeral to attend. I'm understandably worried about the meeting. Part of me thinks I should put it off, but another part of me needs to share him with my family. I know he loves me, but I need him to see who I come from. His family isn't like mine - few are, really - and although I may not always see eye-to-eye with my parents, they're always going to be a part of my life. So, as of right now, the meeting is set for Sunday evening. I just hope the dog behaves...

No comments: